Jefferson Door was founded in 1959 to bring the new concept of pre-hung doors to the New Orleans market. Our business began on Cook Street in Old Gretna with only six people and 4,000 square feet of warehouse. The business grew quickly–so much so that the small warehouse was added on to four times over a span of only 10 years to a total of 27,000 square feet.
In the late 1960s, as the business continued to out-grow the space available, it became necessary to split the operation into two locations by adding a warehouse in Algiers to house our exterior door assembly.
At the time, Jefferson Door’s suppliers delivered raw materials from the Pacific Northwest by rail. As the business’s volume grew, the lack of direct railroad access at both the Cook Street and Algiers location became an obvious hindrance to continued growth. In 1973, Jefferson Door built a new 76,000 square foot warehouse on 4 acres at our current location at 1227 First Avenue in Harvey.
Since its founding in 1959, Jefferson Door has remained a family run business with the 2nd and 3rd generations active in the business.